General Information

Erasmus+ – General information

Legalization of stay

A national of the European Union, a national of the member country of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) – parties to the agreement of the European Economic Area – as well as a national of the Swiss Confederation staying in the Republic of Poland for a period exceeding 3 months has the obligation to register his/her stay.

The EU national has the right of stay for a period longer than 3 months if he/she meets one of the following requirements:

  • he/she studies or does a professional training course in Poland,
  • he/she is covered with a general medical insurance or is entitled to health care services on the basis of provisions on coordination, pursuant to Art. 5 Point 23 of the Act on Healthcare Services Financed from the Public Funds of 27 August 2004,
  • he/she has financial resources which are sufficient to provide for himself/herself and his/her family members in Poland and which do not come from social assistance.

In order for an EU national to register his/her stay in the Republic of Poland or to obtain a residence card, the EU national should file an application in the provincial office competent for the place of stay of the EU national.

Required documents to register the stay:

  • an application (1 original + 3 photocopies) to be downloaded from the webpage of the Małopolska Provincial Office click here,
  • a photocopy of a valid travel document (the page with personal details) or another document confirming his/her identity and citizenship,
  • a confirmation of a temporary stay registration,
  • documents or written declarations confirming that the foregoing conditions of stay have been met.

Additionally, for a student or a person doing a professional training course:

  • a certificate from a public or non-public institution of higher education confirming admission to an institution or referral to a professional training course,
  • a document confirming medical insurance coverage or rights to avail of healthcare services pursuant to regulations on coordination of social security systems,
  • a written declaration that the person has sufficient financial resources to provide for himself/herself and his/her family members, without the necessity to avail of social assistance services, or a certificate confirming that the person has such financial resources (800 PLN per month).

The documents should be submitted in person in:
Małopolski Urząd Wojewódzki w Krakowie [the Małopolska Provincial Office in Krakow]
Wydział Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców [Department of Nationals’ and Foreigners’ Affairs]
Oddział do Spraw Cudzoziemców [Foreigners’ Affairs Unit]
ul. Przy Rondzie 6, Kraków (ground floor, foreigners’ affairs room)
phone no.: (+48) 12 392 18 04, fax 12 422 30 19
See the detailed information on:

Health insurance

EU citizens
The citizens of the member states of the European Union are entitled to the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which is honoured in Poland. Students are obliged to get EHIC in their home countries prior to arriving in Poland. EHIC enables them to obtain medical benefits from medical providers which have signed contracts with Polish National Health Fund and may be identified by the logo of NFZ with the inscription Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia at the main entrance to their premises.
More information is available on the website of the Polish National Health Fund

Non-EU citizens
Students who do not have the EHIC or any other health insurance can contact the Department of International Co-operation in National Health Fund in Krakow in order to sign an insurance agreement.

Department of International Co-operation
National Health Fund
ul. Batorego 24, 31-135 Kraków
phone no.: (+48) 12 298 83 40
See the detailed information on:

It is also possible to enter into an insurance scheme in the home country of the candidate prior to travelling to Poland.


Students must look for accommodation individually. It is essential for the incoming students to book accommodation well in advance as due to a big number of students in Kraków, it may be difficult to find rooms at a short notice.

There is an ample accommodation offer for those wishing to stay off-campus. One may enquire about rooms and flats in various agencies that assist students in finding accommodation.

‘u Frycza’ Guest Rooms

Students can also contact the Campus guest house ‘u Frycza’ to ask for room availability and the conditions of stay. AFMKU provides its visitors with the on-campus accommodation in a highly secure and comfortable environment – ‘u Frycza’ Guest Rooms. The close proximity to the city centre allows residents to participate at will in Krakow’s rich cultural events and exciting social life.
‘u Frycza’ offers 15 twin rooms. The standard of the rooms is comparable to a three-star hotel. They include an en-suite bathroom, radio, TV set, free internet access, shared little kitchen and a laundry. The building as well as the whole campus are adapted for the use of people with disabilities. There are also breakfast room and cafeteria on the ground floor. Those who arrive at the campus area by car are allowed to use a guarded car-park monitored 24-hours a day for a maximum security.

Contact details:
‘u Frycza’ Guest Rooms
ul. Gustawa Herlinga-Grudzińskiego 1 (Campus building C), 30-705 Kraków
phone no.: (+48) 12 257 00 88
e-mail: rezerwacja (at)